With great sorrow I admit that people have used major events in American history-both invigorating and devastating- for their profit. I do not plan on saying that Springsteen's CD was an memorial or a monopoly on the events. I do think if you were not there or you didn't lose a loved on September 11 then you cannot accurately sing a song, or write a poem, about the events.
It just goes back to show that people will monopolize anything. I hate to do this, but I am going to tie President Obama into a blog (to see why I hate this please refer back to the blog entitled Facing America). Okay so during the election how easy was it to find a place to purchase Obamorbilia? Pretty easy. It was everywhere, on the street corners of Atlanta to the local Walmarts it could be found everywhere, even on facebook. Yes, it was a historical event and I know some of the people selling t-shirts and such were trying to sell a piece of history, but how many of you think those merchants were just trying to make a sale? Raise your hands. Yep, I see you, and I agree.
To me it seems America is a real sell out. In fact if people could earn money from it, they would probably sell their souls or at least have people rent them for the weekend. Now do all Americans hold this sentiment? No, but we live in a world the perpetuates that money = success, success=happiness, and happiness=money. It is a sad reality, but all people want is happiness in the form of money. What people need to realize is that money doesn't bring happiness. Happiness comes from a contentment with the job you are doing and the knowledge that you could always do more. In fact you could apply that to every aspect of your life: relationships, finances, education, and ect.
As for Springsteen he is a character, but all I know is that as long as there are events-good, bad, and the such-there will be someone trying to make a cheap buck off of it.
Posting Done,
Tosin
P.S.-Also if you are going to get pissy over this then you kind of have to have your feather ruffled at the song "My President is Black" by Young Jeezy.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment