Monday, February 23, 2009

Before I start this blog, I watched the Cool As Ice link and was cracking up. I had never even heard of that movie then I saw Vanilla Ice and knew it would be ridiculous. In three minutes you could tell the whole entire story of it. Now to return to your regular programming.

I enjoy movies in general. Usually, I am pretty game to watch anything. I am actually going to talk about three movies I love. They are technically not my favorite, but they are definitely on my top fifty.

The first movie I am going to talk about is called Malena. I truly just enjoy the point of view used in this movie. Yes, a little boy is telling a story about war times, but it is also the story of a woman who has no hope.

Not to touch to much on the dialogue, but it is amazing how the main character, Malena, has very few lines. In fact the majority of this movie is based on what the little boy is telling us. All people really see of Malena is her actions.

Another aspect I love of Malena is the musical score. Because Malena does so little talking the music does it for her. It is all instruments, but you feel disheartened, depressed, and worthless. Here is an example Malena

Overall Malena is a story of sorrow and reproach.

My second movie where every single time I watch it I am in awe is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Whoever choreographed those fight scenes is a genius. The fight sequences never looked choreographed, but they somehow had this flow that seems so natural like doing a waltz. So I LOATHE how they dubbed this in English (personally I think foreign films should remain in their native tongue and Americans should suck it up and learn to read subtitles), but here is my favorite fight scene in CT,HD. I am aware that harnesses were used for all those stunts, but it is just so natural.

In addition to the great fight scenes who ever Ang Lee hired to be the camera person kudos. Some of the crazy angles they had were ridiculous. Especially with all the scenes they had with people in the air.

Lastly I like the dynamics between the four main characters. Yu Shu Lein (Michelle Yeoh) is a free liberated and moral woman. Jen Yu (Ziyi Zhang) is born into this royal family where traditions are forced upon her leading to rebellion. Yet some how it is easy to see that between there differences they are more alike than people first see. Moving on to the men, Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) has chosen the life of a moral monk vowing not to marry, by choice of occupation. Lo (Chang Chen) is a rebel who goes around with his men plundering people who venture into the desert. Sadly though Lo is a kind and playful spirit he is forced into a life without a mate, by choice of lifestyle.

CTHD is such a concrete movie, yet so abstract. Love it.

Y TĂș Mama Tambien is my final movie. The title roughly translated to "And Your Mother Also". I must say this movie is not meant for the family and is definitely NOT a movie you watch with your parents. I love this movie, because of how totally messed up and convoluted it is. Some of the scenes are pretty disturbing, not much in a sense of violence going on, but just how vulgar it is. The entire movie is messed up, and it wasn't until the third time I watched it is realized I loved the movie, because it was so messed up. Feel free to youtube that one yourself, but it would be better to watch the movie in its entirety.

Worthy Mentions
Bella
O Brother Where Art Thou--the soundtrack to this movie is awesome.
Amadeus

Posty Posty,
Tosin

No comments:

Post a Comment