Monday, January 26, 2009

You Taste Like Caucasian

First off I have seen and skimmed this book probably four times at Borders or Barnes and Noble. Initially when I was going to write this blog I was going to take the easy way out of it and say that the entire book is making fun of white people, but after giving it thought, I truly believe there is overlooked theme of the book. What is this theme you ask? Acceptance and approval.

In recent years America has moved away from being a completely racist country-on every side-to one that just has stereotypes of people. Most often we hear of the pain and suffering black people endure from white people, but what about white people or Caucasian Americans-whatever you prefer. In the history of the world there was a sad time period when white people owned black people. Now it is sad that African Americans have held a grudge for so long, but they have. I feel a majority of the "things" listed are either a stigma to feel special in the white community or an action that is looking for acceptance in the black-or any minority-community.

Now I am going to prove this. I have looked at all the different items that can make a white person feel more important than another white person and the most truly-which I sorrowfully admit is # 101 which is White People Like Being Offended. To a certain extent I agree with them. When a person throws a racial slur at a white person. What can they really do? If they call me a "you know what" they get deemed as racist and can be charges with assault. But if a black person calls another black person a "you know what" it is okay. *LET IT BE KNOWN IF ANYONE CALLS ME THAT I WILL HURT YOU* So white people are constantly apologizing for offending a black person, but the worst is when a white person feels the need to apologize for their entire race. It is not that one person's job to bear the burden of a racist person. Black people are pretty racist-if not more-than white people. Then again I understand how they feel. McEachern High was a pretty diverse school and often times we would have substitute teachers. And I know I get extremely embarrassed when all the black students decided to act out. I would find myself waiting until after everyone left and apologizing to the substitute.

The one that most relates to the African Caucasian American dynamic is #14 Having Black Friends. I think this is hilarious because. If you are and Black and have more White friends you are probably not accepted in the African-American community because you are prissy or bourgeoisie or snotty or some other term giving to people who don’t live under stereotypes. Now if you are White and have more Black friends you are not that accepted in the White community. People assume you are of low class standard. Honestly I think it is all ridiculous. My friends are every color and every shade. I don’t make friends based on color. I make friends because of whom they are, but then again that is not what this blog is about.

Well that is my take on this book.

Posting Complete,
Tosin

No comments:

Post a Comment